With all the hype surrounding CBD, there’s plenty of information to be had on the compound. Derived from hemp, CBD is one of 113 cannabinoids found in cannabis. Each cannabinoid interacts with our body in a specific way, and we even have specialised receptors in our nervous system to accept them.
As research continues to grow, so too does the demand for CBD products. So much so, in fact, that the market has yielded some impressive profits in the two years since the Farm Bill was passed; which effectively legalised hemp and CBD at the federal level.
Whatever you might know about CBD, there’s a good chance you don’t know these five facts. Keep reading to learn what they are, they might just surprise you.
1. It’s One Of The Fastest-Growing Industries In History: You can buy pharmaceutical grade CBD oil in stores and at several online providers all over the country. This massive spread of CBD products is due to the incredible demand for CBD and CBD-based products; causing the industry to become one of the fastest-growing in history.
Financial experts have predicted that the CBD industry has grown at around 107% per-year, and will continue to do so for the better half of the decade. People simply love CBD products, and as researchers discover more amazing benefits, the demand only grows.
The CBD industry managed to surpass the one billion dollar mark last year, and is projected to surpass 10-20 billion in the next few years. As misinformation and stigma dissipate, facts and scientific data take their place, making cannabis, hemp, and CBD better understood by everyone.
2. It Can Help Cancer Patients Manage Symptoms: CBD offers some very promising results in cancer patients. Cancer is a devastating condition where cells divide uncontrollably and destroy tissue. This can include muscle tissue, organs, blood vessels, and more. Often, cancer is incredibly painful, and the treatments available for cancer are no less uncomfortable than the disease itself.
Cannabinoids may actually help with more than just the symptoms of cancer, however. Certain studies have shown that cannabinoids, including CBD, might actually help to slow the growth of tumours. Another study found that it could potentially make cancerous cells more susceptible to radiation while not affecting healthy cells.
Overall, it would seem that CBD has the ability to inhibit cancer growth, manage symptoms, and aid in the destruction of cancerous cells. These are all great things, but further research must be conducted before these benefits can be cemented into CBD’s repertoire.
3. There’s a CBD-Based Drug Available for Seizures: Believe it or not, the FDA itself has recognised and performed research on the effectiveness of CBD in treating certain conditions, and recently approved a drug called Epidiolex, which is formulated from CBD. This breakthrough in CBD research proves that CBD is both useful and effective in medical applications.
Epidiolex is used to treat certain severe forms of epilepsy, such as Dravet Syndrome (read more about the different types of seizures here). These rare conditions can cause debilitating and often dangerous seizures. The CBD-based drug seems to reduce the number of as well as the severity of these seizures, making life more comfortable and manageable for those suffering from these conditions.
4. CBD Is Opening New Doors In Medical Research: Besides treating epilepsy and cancer, CBD is opening doors to all kinds of new research. Studies have been conducted on the compound’s effectiveness at treating or affecting conditions such as anxiety; depression; PTSD; diabetes; heart disease; high blood pressure; skin conditions; Alzheimer’s and more.
According to the Penguin CBD team, now that CBD and hemp are officially legalised, there’s plenty of room for more research and plenty of money in the industry to support new studies. With specialised receptors for cannabinoids in our nervous systems, it’s clear that our bodies are somewhat designed to accept and make use of cannabinoids, and their incredible list of benefits only continues to grow as we learn more.
CBD has yet another useful application: helping to treat addiction. Opioid-based painkillers are the cause of thousands of overdoses and deaths each year, and yet, they’re continuously prescribed without any valid alternatives available. CBD is effective at pain management but has also been shown to reduce the symptoms of withdrawal and help reduce cravings in addicts.
5. CBD Can Be Used In Pets And Children: You probably didn’t know you could give your furry friend CBD, did you? CBD pet treats are available for pets who suffer from chronic pain, inflammation, anxiety, or even have appetite problems. They’re tasty and you’re pet won’t know that they contain anything other than that yummy steak flavour they love so much!
Pet owners all over the country are choosing CBD oil to bring their pets easy comfort and relief from conditions like arthritis. While the research on pets and CBD is scarce, millions of pet owners swear by CBD and its effectiveness.
You can also give CBD to your children. In fact, there are studies available that suggest CBD may be an effective treatment for ADHD instead of giving stimulants to your child. That’s not to say you should immediately replace your child’s ADHD medication with CBD, but you can certainly talk with your child’s doctor about this natural alternative. Many parents have found CBD to be effective at managing hyperactive children and those with focus or concentration issues.
Children also suffer from chronic pain, inflammation, and conditions such as anxiety. CBD is truly an amazing compound with a myriad of useful applications, and it spans beyond just use in adults and humans. Your pets and your children can experience its benefits as well; check out one of the many relevant guides at CBD Fable to discover more.
CBD is only growing in popularity, and you can be sure to see some more amazing benefits discovered as more money and effort go into CBD studies. With CBD’s legal status solidified, it’s not much easier to study its effects and perform clinical trials without the threat of government interference. Where will the future of CBD and CBD products will take us? The road ahead is set to be an exciting one…